Types of Air Compressors
There are basically three types of air compressors. These include the portable air compressor, stationary air compressor and the tire inflator.
The size of an air compressor will depend on the type of work you intend to use it for. For example if you want to inflate your car tires then you will need a smaller model in comparison to when inflating pool toys or mattresses. The following article will help you in deciding which type best suits your needs depending on its intended use.
Portable Air Compressor
If your work requires frequent relocation from one place to another, then this is the best choice for you because it is easily moved around despite being quite powerful. It can be used anywhere since there are no restrictions on its location. They are very easy to set up and can be used almost anywhere.
Stationary Air Compressor
This type is best suited for people whose work does not require them to move from one place to the other often since it is a bit heavy and quite bulky especially if you intend to use it in your garage. It cannot be easily moved around because of its size and weight even though it is powerful enough for most jobs. These include garage workshops where they are mainly used for inflating tires, home improvement projects such as putting up drywall or bathroom tiles, spray painting or doing general woodwork. Stationary air compressors have larger tanks which give out more pressure than smaller portable models making them ideal when large items have to be inflated.
This type is basically a small air compressor with an inbuilt pressure gauge to inflate tires and sports balls such as basketballs, volleyballs and soccer balls. It has low power output when compared to other types which can be quite limiting when it comes to inflating large objects. However they do not require much energy when it comes to car tires and bikes making them the best choice for many people who only want something that will get the job done quickly and efficiently without breaking their budget.
Specs To Look Out For When Buying An Air Compressor
Power input: This refers to how much electrical power required for its operation. You should always look out for one powered by electricity since they are cheap to run and easy to maintain. It is also advisable to have a model that can be powered by both AC and DC so as to ensure you remain mobile even when there is a blackout especially if your work requires you to travel a lot or work in remote areas.
Tank Capacity: The size of the tank will determine how long it will be before you have to refuel. The larger the tank, the more pressurized air it can generate thus making it ideal for bigger projects such as using an inflatable mattress or large truck tires where power output does not really matter as much as its capacity since they take longer periods of time for inflation.
Fluid Drainage System: Ensure that the one you buy has this feature because it prevents the buildup of condensation inside the tank. This can be quite damaging to your equipment especially if you intend to use it for heavy duty jobs like painting or inflating air mattresses.
Number Of Air Tools: This refers to how many individual tools are included in its package when it is bought new. Having more accessories means that you will not have to buy any extra parts when doing different projects around the house which saves you time and money since you do not have to buy an entire set for one project.
Warranty Period: Always go for models with at least a year warranty on their parts and labor so as to avoid incurring unnecessary expenses when repairing your air compressor in case something goes wrong during normal use by the manufacturer’s standards.
Air compressor types are determined by the type of power they use, where they are used and how much pressure is generated. While most people usually tend to buy portable models since they can be used anywhere easily, stationary ones are still useful because of their large tank capacity especially if you have an entire garage or workshop to inflate large objects with. Additionally, tire inflators are best suited for cars, bikes and balls which require less power to inflate making them versatile since almost everyone owns at least one of these items.
Top Portable & Small Air Compressors
- 150 psi max tank pressure stores more air in the tank for longer tool run times
- 2.6 SCFM at 90 psi allows for quick compressor recovery time, per ISO1217
- Six-gallon pancake-style tank for stability, includes water drain valve and rubber feet
- Low-amp 120-volt motor starts easily in cold weather or with extension cord
- 150 psi max tank pressure stores more air in the tank for longer tool run times
Makita 2.5 HP
- Dimensions: 19.38" D x 18.75" W x 18" H | Weight: 77 lbs
- Low AMP draw reduces incidences of tripped breakers at start up. The 4.2 gallon twin stacked tank sustains an operating pressure of 130 PSI, and delivers 40 PSI (4.8 CFM) and 90 PSI (4.2 CFM), enough for two nailers
- Pump is oil lubricated for cooler running temperatures and reduced wear. Built in thermal overload for additional motor protection. Compressor Oil (181122 A). 1/4 inches Universal Quick Coupler (447013 E)
- Roll cage construction provides complete protection to withstand extreme jobsite environments. Lever handle ball valve tank drain valve improves upon standard petcock design for easier maintenance
- Large automotive style industrial air filter for increased air intake and greater efficiency. Durable cast iron cylinder reduces wear and increases pump life; removable for easy maintenance. Oil sight glass for fast, easy and efficient maintenance
California Air Tools CAT
- Ultra quiet only 56 Decibels
- Oil-Free pump for less maintenance & costs
- Lightweight for easy transporting - 29.5 lbs
- 1.0 gallon steel tank
- Powerful 0.6 HP (rated / running) - 1.20 CFM @ 90 PSI
Kensun AC/DC Power Supply Portable Air Compressor Pump
- You get enormous customer service support from one of the most trusted names in automotive accessories.
- The tire inflator is perfect for use indoors and during the travel as it is designed with AC and DC power cords.
- This portable air compressor comes with a pair of accessory nozzles. If you have Presta valve, you may need an additional adaptor.
- Specific characteristics: analogue pressure gauge; maximum range of pressure: 120psi; continuous working time: 30 minutes at 35psi.
- Specifications: Black woven hose (outer length): 19in (48cm). Cable length: DC - 9ft 2in (2.8m). AC - 9ft 10in (3m).(6ft longer than the Kensun Model H compressor) LpM (Liter per minute) - 18(DC) / 20(AC).
HELTEKO Portable Air Compressor Pump
- HIGH-QUALITY MATERIALS - We used durable ABS plastic and stainless steel to make our portable air compressor pump. Their high-grade and resistant structure can withstand unforeseen damage, so you can use our digital tire inflator with confidence for a long time.
- POWERFUL & MULTI-PURPOSE - Our auto air compressor has enough power to inflate a standard mid-size car tire in 3-5 min. Beyond that, it also comes with a 11.5 ft (3.5M) long cable cord, so you can inflate the tires of your car, bike, vehicles, bicycles, motorcycle or SUV.
- DIGITAL DISPLAY - Our electric tire pump has a large, high-precision and bright display that is essential not only during a day, but also at night. You can also choose a desired unit of measurement for pressure: PSI, BAR, KPA or KG/CM².
- AUTO SHUT OFF - The car air pump has a simple and useful thermal protection feature. It means that when our auto tire inflator reaches the desired pressure, the car air compressor turns off automatically, so you don’t need to wait to press the OFF button.
- LED-LIGHTING AND COMPACT DESIGN - The tire inflator pump comes with the LED lights and accurate pressure gauge to use it in emergency situations. Our electric tire pump is also compact and lightweight. GET 100% SATISFACTION AND 2 YEARS EXTENDED WARRANTY!
Things to consider before buying a Air Compressor
Picking out an air compressor may seem simple enough, but there are many factors that need to be considered. One should never just look at price when purchasing an air compressor because you could end up with a very poor quality product. Here are some tips on how to find the best portable air compressors for your project.
1.) Make sure it is compatible with your car before making your purchase – This means at least 30 liters of air per minute (LPM) and 200PSI which is the standard rate in most newer cars though some older cars still go by standards set back in the 60’s . Air tools get big boosts from this amount of power; therefore, they will perform much more efficiently than lower powered ones. If you plan on using higher powered tools you want to be sure that the compressor is compatible with them or you will burn it out very quickly.
2.) Do not get a compressor with an integrated tank – If your unit has an integral tank, there are plenty of times when it cannot keep up with what you need so it cuts off. Then, after waiting for it to refill, you continue working only to have the same thing happen again and again. These tanks are very limiting because they cannot handle constant use like their counterparts can . If your unit does not have an internal tank then make sure that the water level stays consistently low because this could also cause damage in some cases if left unattended too long.
3.) Weight matters – Since these compressors are going to be mobile, you want a unit that can easily be moved from point A to point B. There is a big difference between a 40-pound model and an 80-pound model so make sure you know how much your product weighs before making the purchase.
4.) Get one with a carry handle – As previously mentioned these compressors are supposed to be mobile which means they need to be easy to transport. Some units come with wheels while others do not but most of them have at least some sort of handle for ease of movement . If it does not have a carry handle then do not get it because there are plenty of other options available on the market instead so try going with something else.
5.) Size matters – This really is a no-brainer but you want to make sure that the unit you get is going to fit in the space where it will be used. If it is too big then you cannot use it at all and if it is too small then there are more efficient models out there which could be more beneficial for your project.
6.) Check customer reviews – One of the best ways to find out about a product before buying it is by looking at what other people who have bought this product had to say about their overall experience. Do not just read one review because these often do not paint an accurate picture and can leave out important information. Instead, try looking at as many as possible and even avoid products with bad ratings to stay safe .
7.) Read over the warranty – You do not want to spend your money on any product that does not come with a good warranty that covers all different types of damages. It is very common for compressors in this day and age to have at least one year of coverage which gives you enough time in case anything goes wrong .
8.) Get quality – This means staying away from cheap brands because they are made with poor materials which means they will not last very long. Even if you get a discount you still could be throwing your money away by buying something that falls apart shortly after use .
9.) Have realistic expectations – As mentioned earlier, there are many factors to take into consideration when looking for the best air compressor automotive purposes. Do not think that you can get the same results from a smaller unit that you can from a larger one. For example, if you want to use tools with an air power of over 65 then it is best to purchase something that’s at least 60 psi and has a gallon or more capacity .
10.) Weight isn’t everything – While weight does matter it should not be your only consideration when looking for the best portable air compressor automotive purposes. Pay attention to what we pointed out earlier about some models having wheels and others not having them because this could make a big difference in how easy it is to move around. If you need something very portable but heavy duty then try getting two different compressors instead of settling on something that might seem convenient but will not work well for your needs.
11.) Is it durable? – To say that something is durable means that it can be used over and over again without damage which is important for this type of product . You don’t want to keep having to buy something new because the last one you got broke after only a few uses. It should withstand almost anything you put it through, including drops or any other type of accident.
12.) What accessories are included? – Some compressors come with tools already but if these are not included then make sure to purchase them separately before adding the compressor into the cart . It’s frustrating when you think everything’s fine until you get home and realize that you cannot use all of the features available with what the seller has provided.
13.) What type of power does it use? – Always look at the specifications or read the description to find out what type of power will be used with the unit. Higher voltages are best for heavier duty all-purpose compressors while smaller models can run on 12 volts which should work fine for most automotive purposes.
14.) Is it easy to install? – It is always best when you do not need any tools or special skills to put something together because this means that anyone can use this product instead of having to depend on someone who’s an expert at putting things like this together . If there are no instructions included then make sure you call customer service first before making a purchase because they might have specific instructions about getting yours up and running.
15.) What is the noise level? – No one wants to have to listen to a loud machine that’s going on and off all day long. There are many models available on the market that run very quietly so try avoiding those with poor reviews as they might not do as good of a job as something more advanced .
16.) Is it safe? – You always want to make sure you have your safety first by picking out a compressor without any known hazards from being used incorrectly . Look for those with an air regulator included, especially if you’re new at using these vehicles or unsure about what type would work best.
17.) What will it cost me? – Always remember that you cannot get something for nothing which means sometimes it can be worth spending a little more on something that works well rather than getting the cheapest one available on the market. While it can seem like a lot of money to pay upfront you will be saving yourself time and stress if only considering something inexpensive which might not do good or last long at all.
18.) Is there adequate support? – You always want to make sure that you get something with an excellent warranty included in case anything goes wrong because this protects your purchase . Also, look for things that have more than just phone support but also email, live chat, and other types of communication so you know that they are there when you need them. 19.) What type of power does it use? – Look at what type of voltages are used since the higher the voltage, the better it will do when powering more heavy duty items. This is very important to keep in mind since you want the compressor to work well for your needs, otherwise you’ll find yourself buying something new or returning it within a short time of purchase .
20.) How easy is it to use? – Speaking of using a compressor, make sure that whatever you buy works well with almost anything because this makes it much easier on the person who’s going to have to get everything done quickly . If there are any special features needed for certain vehicles then call customer service beforehand so they can help get you through the process without any problems along the way.