Portable air purifiers help you control the air quality inside your home or office. Whether you have a smoker in your family, pets that shed hair and dander, or just want to keep allergens out of your house, a portable air purifier can help. They’re compact enough to fit in small places but use HEPA filtration systems which are capable of capturing very fine particles from the air.
In general, when shopping for a portable air purifier it’s important to understand what types are available and make sure they will work for what you need them for. There are two main types: true HEPA filters and ionizers. True HEPA filters capture 99% of the particles in a room while ionizers capture only 50% of those particles.
Choosing a portable air purifier with HEPA filtration will be best for most households and offices, but you have to understand which features are important for your specific needs. Not all units are created equal so it’s a good idea to do a little research before committing to a particular model or brand.
In addition to different types of filters, some manufacturers have developed specialized technologies that can help boost the unit’s performance . These systems include activated carbon filters, ultraviolet germicidal irradiation (UVC) lights, and electronic plates built into the system. Each design is intended to attack pollutants from a different angle, helping trap more allergens and filter out more harmful chemicals from air in your home or office.
The main benefits of using Portable Air Purifiers include: Reducing exposure to airborne allergens thus reducing the chance of suffering from conditions such as asthma, hay fever or bronchitis. Reducing exposure to airborne viruses thus reducing the risk of catching common colds, flu etc. Removing unpleasant smells – e.g. pets, smoke etc. Reducing condensation on windows and improving air flow in rooms (in homes with no central heating).
The main downside is that units use a lot of energy and it could be up to 3-4 times more expensive to run than your standard household appliances like fans or heaters which can also serve similar purposes (e.g.: fan for removing hot air; heater for removing cold air).
Top Portable & Small Air Purifiers
Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier with True HEPA
- True HEPA filter captures 99.97% of airborne pollutants; dust mites, pet dander, pollen and other allergens as small as 0.3 microns
- Washable AOC Carbon Filter, made from activated carbon granulars for removal of household odors. Decibels 27.8 dB
- PlasmaWave acts as a permanent filter to safely break down odor, allergens, chemical vapors and other pollutants with no harmful ozone
- Smart Sensors gauge the air and our Auto Mode adjusts the fan to filter the air as needed; with a sleep mode for silent night time operation
- CADR rated for 360 square feet room size. Suitable for medium and large rooms; kids bedrooms, family rooms and kitchens
Vremi Large Room Home Air Purifier
- Have A Great Air Day: The Vremi premium air purifier utilizes a True HEPA H13 with 99.97% efficiency to purify the surrounding air in your bedroom, living room, home office, and other medium to large size indoor spaces.
- Powerful 3-Stage Filtration: Includes ultra-fine pre-filter, True HEPA filter and activated carbon filter for enhanced odor reduction. Features a long-lasting filter with a whopping 4320 hour run-time (~180 days). Important: The included filter (located inside the air purifier) ships with a protective plastic sleeve. Please remove the plastic sleeve from the filter before use.
- Smart Air Quality Monitor and Filter Change Indicator: Features a built-in sensor that measures and displays air quality level (blue, green, orange or red) and automatically adjusts the fan speed (low, medium or high) in real-time. This compact and clean white appliance also includes a helpful reset indicator that flashes to let you know it’s time to replace the HEPA filter.
- Modern Design with Sleep Friendly Features: Measures 15.5 inches high and 8.7 inches in diameter, and features a 360-degree aerodynamic air intake to maximize purification. Operates more quietly than other air purifiers, with a max noise of 52 dB on its highest setting. Includes warm night light with customizable brightness levels, as well as a built-in timer for added convenience.
- Your Satisfaction Is Our Priority: Vremi offers a 2-year warranty and free return or exchange within 30 days of order receipt. If you experience any issues with your purchase, please contact us or any of our authorized sellers directly, and we will do everything we can to make things right!
Coway AP-1512HH Mighty Air Purifier
- Coway Mighty (AP-1512HH) is designed to accommodate room sizes up to 361 sq.ft (CADR: Dust 246 / Pollen 240 / Smoke 233 cb. ft.).
- 4 Stage Filtration System (Pre-filter, Deodorization filter, True HEPA filter, Vital Ion) captures and reduces up to 99.97% of particles 0.3 microns in the air, including pollen, pollutants and other allergens. It also reduces volatile organic compounds and reduces odor.
- Coway Mighty pollution sensor communicates indoor air quality in real-time. The brightly colored LED lets you know how clean or dirty your indoor air is every minute of the day. And it features a timer, and filter lifetime indicator.
- Fan speeds available in 1, 2, 3 stages by manually setting up. While auto mode automatically optimizes the speed setting 1 through 3 based on the level of indoor air quality. When no pollution is detected for 30 minutes, the fan will automatically stop and set as Eco mode to save energy.
- Timer feature allows the machine to run 1/4/8 hours before automatically powering off.
LEVOIT Air Purifier
- Designed in California. The UVC Light and Anion that other Brands adopt to purify air could produce a kind of air pollutant-Ozone, which is especially harmful for the children and Asthma sufferers. Levoit air purifiers never use these for 100% Ozone free
- Advanced 3 stages Filtration System: Imported HEPA Filter and High-Efficiency Activated Carbon Filter capture the allergies and pets, smoke and remove 99. 97% of pet dander, dust, pollen, odour, mold, etc. Effectively improving indoor air quality and freely enjoying fresh air at home
- Genuine Replacement Filters: Search for lvh132rf for Replacement filter. Use genuine Levoit replacement filters to maintain the best performance and to ensure what you're buying is worthy of your investment
- Ultra-Silent Operation: Filtering the air with lowest noise level 25db is perfect for the restful and soothing indoor environment, which is helpful to sleep deeply
- High-Efficiency Air Purifier: Circulating room air over 4 times per hour to achieve rapid purification. Unique size and contemporary design make Levitt air purifier suitable for small, medium rooms, office and dorm, serving you both for practical air purifier and lovely decor
- EXTRA LARGE ROOM AIR PURIFIER – The Honeywell HPA300 HEPA Air Purifier helps to make the air you breathe cleaner. Recommended for extra-large rooms (465 square feet), it helps capture up to 99.97% of airborne particles as small as 0.3 microns.
- HELPS REDUCE ALLERGENS & CERTAIN GERMS - This HEPA air purifier has 3 air cleaning levels + Turbo Clean. It helps capture particles like pet dander, pollen, dust and smoke. It reduces up to 99.9% of certain airborne viruses, bacteria and mold spores.
- EFFECTIVE AIR CLEANING AND CIRCULATION – The Honeywell HPA300 Air Purifier filters and circulates air in extra-large 465 square feet. Rooms up to 5 times an hour – 120x per day. You can breathe easy knowing the air in your home is cleaner with fewer allergens.
- No.1 BRAND RECOMMENDED BY ALLERGISTS – Honeywell HEPA Air Purifier, The Doctor’s Choice, is the No.1 brand recommended by allergists. Backed with a 5-year warranty, Honeywell air purifiers are a trusted partner in the fight against airborne particles.
- COMPATIBLE DOES NOT MEAN COMPARABLE – For best performance, use only Genuine Honeywell air purifier filters. Compatible air purifier filter replacements are not guaranteed to offer the same performance or efficiency.
Here are some things to look for when shopping for a portable air purifier:
A Peak Cleaning Performance Rating of 300 indicates that the unit is capable of cleaning an entire room up to 300 square feet. This rating should be based on testing by AHAM or other independent laboratory testing groups, not just manufacturer claims . It’s important to know the true performance capabilities of any unit you’re considering buying before committing to it.
The CADR value represents airflow in cubic feet per minute (CFM) and how much air is pushed through the filter in one minute. The higher the CFM rating, the faster contaminants in a particular area will be eliminated. However, if that area is very large and includes open spaces and multiple rooms, then this unit may not be right for your needs. The CADR should be based on testing done by AHAM or other independent groups, not just manufacturer claims .
The MERV rating determines how much of a particular particle will get caught in the purifier’s filter. For example, an MERV 11 filter catches more particles than an MERV 8 filter, but is also capable of trapping smaller particles that the larger one might let through. Higher ratings are better at capturing smaller particles while lower ratings work better against larger ones. Most units have filters between 1-12 so make sure you choose based on how small you want to go with each particle size your unit can trap.
You’ll find both true HEPA and ionizing portable air purifiers on the market. True HEPA filters trap very small particles and, when combined with activated carbon filters, can help capture additional pollutants such as odors and chemical fumes. Ionizers use electrically charged plates to attract harmful contaminants into the purifier’s filter where they are trapped and eventually removed from your home or office. While effective at controlling the air quality in a room, ionizers cannot remove odor molecules .