Types of Blade Grinders
When you are choosing the best coffee grinder for your needs, it is important to get one that has the right type of blades. There are basically three different types of blade grinders on the market today:
Blade Grinders: These grinders have blades like a blender and they work by chopping up your beans until they reach a size you desire. These can be dangerous because of how quickly they spin. They also produce large amounts of heat which can burn up the oils in your beans so this will give you a bad tasting brew.
Burr grinders: These burr grinders can either use steel or ceramic material for their grinding surfaces. The best choice here would be ceramic but if money is tight then go with steel since they are less expensive than ceramic ones.
Stepped or Stepless Grinders: These are the most commonly used grinders today. They have either a steel or ceramic wheel with ridges on it instead of blades. This wheel is turned manually to create different levels of coarseness for your beans. The best choice is to go with one that has at least 30 steps so you will always be able to create an ideal grind for any brewing method.
This is probably the trickiest part when determining which grinder you want. It depends greatly on how picky you are about your coffee and what kind of brew methods you use most often. Burr grinders can produce three types of grinds:
Medium Grind – You can use this type if you plan to use drip, percolators, espresso machines and other similar ones. It is also perfect for people who like to use French Press coffee makers.
Coarse Grind – This one works well with pour overs, vacuum pots, press pots and percolators since it allows more oils to pass through the beans which results in better tasting coffee.
Fine Grind – These are used mostly by people who make Turkish Coffee or Espresso on a regular basis because of the very fine grind that is needed for these brewing methods.
Top Portable & Small Coffee Grinders
Breville BCG820BSSXL Smart Grinder Pro
- Stainless steel conical burrs designed to minimize grinding heat and protect the essential oils in the coffee bean
- 60 precise grind settings from the finest Espresso to the coarsest French Press Grind. Voltage: 110 120 Volts. Power: 165 Watts
- Precision Electronic Timer allows users to adjust grind time in 0.2 second increments and consistent dose every time
- 18 ounce coffee bean capacity with locking system for easy removal, storage, and transfer of the bean hopper
- Grind directly into portafilter, grinds container, gold tone filter basket or paper filter
Kaffe KF2020 Electric Coffee Grinder
- COMPACT countertop electric coffee grinder (3 oz capacity) quickly turns whole-bean into fresh grounded coffee right from your home or kitchen.
- FRESH COFFEE! Grinds whole coffee beans to fine grounds in seconds for quality home brewing using a French press, coffee percolator or other drip coffee makers.
- EASY TO USE on/off button positioned on safety lid: grinder won’t operate without cover. Transparent lid lets you monitor grinding.
- MULTI-PURPOSE: Use it to grind nuts and spices or coffee beans. CLEANING BRUSH INCLUDED!
- EXTENDED 2 YEAR WARRANTY: Covers any damage or defect. Money back guarantee!
JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinder
- Built-in adjustable grind selector - with over 18 click settings ensures you have 100% precision & control over the coarseness of your coffee beans making for the perfect grind to start your day.
- Convenient & Easy to Use: Our removable hand crank mechanism consistently eliminates over 90% of the noise that electric grinders produce. No batteries, power, or long plastic cords needed to operate your portable compact manual grinder.
- Grind fresh coffee, everyday! JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinder only dispenses your desired fresh coffee bean experience - feel the coffee beans grind as you mill them the manual way! Smell the fresh aroma of your daily coffee as you brew them on your espresso machine. Ground, brew, and enjoy!
- Coffee is in our DNA - Each JavaPresse manual grinder is designed to liberate and empower you to transform your favorite whole bean coffee ritual into an extraordinary daily experience.
- Patented Ceramic Combo Burrs - Our Signature Burr Grinder blades are designed and tested through three professional grade inspections to last 5x's longer than stainless steel blades.
Bodum Bistro Electric Coffee Grinder
- COFFEE GRINDER: BISTRO Blade coffee grinders take whole coffee beans from coarse to fine quickly and efficiently; fresh brewing from the comfort of your home
- BLADE & MOTOR: The blade grinder has a strong, durable stainless steel cutting blade that spins at a precise RPM, plus a powerful 150W motor
- SLEEK DESIGN: Push-button control allows for pulse action or continuous grind, and transparent lid allows the fineness grade to be observed to ensure coffee is made to your liking
- COMPACT: Small coffee grinder has convenient cord storage in the base of grinder, perfect if you plan to leave out on the kitchen counter
- SERVINGS: This powerful coffee grinder makes enough coffee needed for brewing 8 cups of French press; pair with Bodum coffee maker
Secura SP-7415 Electric Coffee Grinder
- Electric grinder for coffee bean and spices
- Build-in smart overheat protection, extend motor life span
- Lid safety lock, On/Off switch, Cord wrap base
- Stainless steel blade and stainless steel exterior
- Product Built to North American Electrical Standards, 120V.
How Do You Pick the Right Burr Grinder?
There are several factors you should consider before deciding on which burr grinder to purchase and here they are:
Grind Consistency – The most important thing about the type of grind you want is that it must be consistent so you can get the best cup of coffee. To achieve this, look for a unit with high quality burrs and good engineering work. This will ensure that your coffee beans will not heat up as it is being processed by the machine.
Grind Capacity – Think about how many people you need to serve with your ground coffee because there might be times when your friends or family members will want a hot cup of coffee as well. If your unit comes with a hopper that is capable of storing a lot of beans, then you can be sure that you would have enough ground coffee for everyone.
Grind Settings – You definitely want to find the right grinder if you only use certain types of brew methods such as coarse-ground coffee for percolator pots and fine grain for espresso machines. The good thing about steel burr grinders is they usually come with an adjustable grind setting that gives users more flexibility when it comes to brewing their favorite cup of Joe.
Other Reminders: Here are some other things you might want to check before purchasing a unit:
Price – Always remember that top quality units can cost several hundred dollars which might be too expensive for some users. If you are on a tight budget, look for grinders that are under $100 but if possible, it would be best to invest in one of higher price since they offer more features and better build quality.
Use – You also have to think about how much time you will use the machine every day. If you just need it occasionally, then there is no point in spending hundreds of dollars on this unit. However, if you plan on using it several times per day, then go with a high-end grinder so it can provide you with years of great results without any problems at all.
Quality Materials – The best way to ensure that your burr grinder has high-quality materials is if it has the approval of the RoHS standards. This means that your unit can be free from toxic metals such as lead, mercury, cadmium and hexavalent chromium so you know it’s safe for home use.
Storage – You also want to check how easy it is to store your burr grinder since some units are not compact enough for small spaces. The good news is that there are small burr grinders with capacities of less than 5 oz
These tips should help you decide which machine will work best for your needs. Now that you know what features to look for in a coffee grinder, go ahead and find one that can provide you with high-quality grounds every time!