A dehumidifier is a home appliance that helps control the humidity in the house and removes excess water from the air. If you live in a place with high humidity or where it does not get too cold during winter, then having a dehumidifier at home will be useful for you.
Types of Dehumidifiers
Dehumidifiers work on different ways to bring down the level of humidity in your house. There are two types of dehumidifiers: Desiccant and Refrigerant. Desiccant dehumidifiers use desiccants such as silica gel to draw the excess moisture from the air whereas refrigerant dehumidifiers use chemical processes and evaporative cooling methods to reduce humidity in homes and buildings. This article deals with how refrigerant dehumidifiers work and the best portable dehumidifier reviews.
How Refrigerant Dehumidifiers Work?
Refrigerant dehumidifiers are specially designed to remove excess humidity from your home or office, especially during winters when the outside temperature is not very low. During winter, there is high amount of water vapour in the air due to excessive heating indoors. This causes condensation on windows which can also damage furniture and other things around. Hence, it becomes important to keep your indoor temperature low so that you don’t have these problems during wintertime. A refrigerant dehumidifier does this job for you by removing water vapour from the air . It has an effective self-evaporating system that keeps away excess humidity and moisture from your house, and you can read about the best dehumidifiers for basement here.
Refrigerant dehumidifiers use a refrigeration process to extract water from the air. When water is evaporated, it absorbs energy required to vaporize the liquid into gaseous form. This energy is known as latent heat of fusion. In other words, when water (liquid state) changes its state to steam (gaseous state), it gives off heat which saves the indoor temperature because the heat has been absorbed by the water vapour in the air. So if there is too much humidity inside your home or office, then having a refrigerant dehumidifier will reduce it to a considerable extent and save a lot of energy too.
Most refrigerant type dehumidifiers use the compressor-based technology to absorb water vapour from the air passing through a wet evaporator coil. The process uses a combination of cold air and hot air which makes the water droplets on the evaporator coils condensate as liquid form. A fan or some other mechanism is used to draw out this liquid from the base of the unit. Various factors such as temperature, pressure, etc influence both evaporation and condensation processes in your dehumidifier. Since these processes are complex, manufacturers tend to provide only rough estimates about their products’ maximum moisture capacity (how much moisture they can extract). Here we have reviewed top 10 portable dehumidifiers of 2018.
How an Evaporative Dehumidifier Works?
Evaporative dehumidifiers work on a simple principle: they let dry air pass through moist pads which absorb the moisture from the air and removes it as liquid form. These types of dehumidifiers are also known as “Swamp Coolers” because they reduce the level of humidity by cooling down hot, dry air thereby creating comfortable living conditions during summertime. Swamp coolers work similar to refrigerant type dehumidifiers; still there are some differences that make them suitable for use indoors or outdoors. The pros and cons of evaporative vs refrigerant dehumidifiers will you decide which one is better.
Top Portable & Small Dehumidifiers
- HIGN EFFICIENT DEHUMIDIFICATION -Keep moisture below 50% .Our mini dehumidifiers has 2 air inlets (front and back), which has a great powerful efficiency for removing the moisture in the air. 350ml/day dehumidification feature better than ordinary electric dehumidifier. Fits for area about 165 sq·ft apartment, working at RH80% condition has a significant effect.
- CREATE A HEALTHY & COMFORTABLE ENVIRONMENT - breath fresh air in your home. According to research, if the moisture in the air above 50% can breed uncomfortable or other health problems. Installing a air dehumidifier can be the best solution!Our powerful compact dehumidifier start work when the humidity more than 50%, it collects moisture from your home's air before releasing it back to the room. The final product is air that doesn't make you feel sticky. Your days of humidity are over！
- MUlTI-PURPOSE BUT ULTRA QUEIT - Dehumidifiers for home take excessive water out of the air. This can have a huge impact on the environment in your home during the summer, helps to preventing the peeling of wallpaper, protecting home electronics and music equipment, preserving documents, and keeping sofas, chairs and curtains from smelling.SUPER QUIET DESIGN, noise is below 35dB,runs quiet with no annoying sound,without disturbing your sleep, work or study, perfect for space like bedroom
- EASY TO OPERATE AND PORTABLE - Our safe dehumidifier is designed with only one power button to make it easy for everyone to use.Press the on/off button to start dehumidifying(blue light), then let it run its continuous 24-hour cycle until the tank is full(yellow light), at which point our portable dehumidifier will automatically shut-off.Compact and lightweight, it can be carried from the room to the office, or take it to your RV or Camper.
- SMART POWER-OFF AND ENERGY SAVING - equipped with a water level controller, our dehumidifier for bedroom can shut off itself when the controller reaches its max level and the indicator light turns YELLOW to remind you to empty the tank out. Compare to older dehumidifiers,our small dehumidifier use a fan to move air over refrigerated coils, pull water from the air, and drip it into a tank.That means you’ll see savings in energy compared with older dehumidifiers!
Afloia Portable Dehumidifier
- COMPACT & PORTABLE: Afloia Compact portable dehumidifier with a 17-ounce water tank can quickly and efficiently remove up to 9 ounces of water per day from your place. Optimal operating temperature is 59-86°F.
- ULTRA-QUIET TECHNOLOGY : Use peltier technology makes the dehumidifier lightweight and quiet. Noise is below 30dB with no annoying sound, which is perfect for small rooms and poorly ventilated areas. Creates enjoyable and more comfortable for your family.
- AUTO SHUT-OFF: When the water of the tank full, this dehumidifier will automatically shut off and LED light will turn yellow to protect from the risk of overflow.
- ENERGY SAVING: Upgraded dehumidifier with no harmful chemical substance and low energy consumption.With a power 21W/hour which means using only 0.5kW of electricity after running for 24 hours.It is an ideal environmentally friendly solution for absorbing damp and condensation.
- EASY TO WORK: Easy to operate, connect power, touch power to work. Simple one-button control. Ideal for rooms up to 1500 cubic feet (161 sq ft).Provide you a life of ease.
Honati Small Dehumidifier
- High-Efficiency Dehumify: This dehumidifier with 20oz(600ml) capacity can quickly and effectively remove up to 10oz(300ml) of moisture daily in a humid environment of 86℉ and 80% RH. Ideal for rooms up to 2100 cubic feet (199 sq.ft). Keep your room more comfortable and healthy.
- Ultra Quiet & Energy Saving: This small dehumidifier built-in thermoelectric cooling technology with no compressor is whisper-quiet operation. Noise level is below 33dB, offer a quiet environment when you are sleeping or rest. At an output of 23W per hour, which means only using 0.55kW after running for 24 hours.
- Auto Shut Off: Built-in automatic shut off protection prevents flooding or water overflow. This mini dehumidifier will shut off when the water tank full, and the LED light turns red. Simply empty the water tank and place it back into the dehumidifier.
- Good for Your Health: This home dehumidifier collects moisture and releases fresh air, keeps your home or other spaces dry and provide a healthy working & living environment for you. Like all mini dehumidifiers, the optimal operating temperature is 41-86℉. It will not work below 41℉.
- Mini and Portable: This portable dehumidifier is the mini size (5.75 x 5.75 x 8.94 inches) and lightweight (2.2lb). You can easily move the dehumidifier to the place wherever you want to. It is a perfect fit for small spaces, like a bathroom, bedroom, RV, wardrobe, locker, and closet.
Seavon New Electric 2020 Mini Dehumidifier
- 【High-Efficiency Work】: Small and compact dehumidifier with 16 ounces/ 500 ml capacity tank extracts up to 10 oz/ 300 ml daily in enclosed and small rooms and spaces.
- 【Auto-Shut off Function】: Compact dehumidifier shut-off automatically when full water. Led would turn Red when the water tank needs draining. Easily removal and back into the dehumidifier.
- 【Ultra-Quiet& Efficient】: Built-in Thermo-Electric Cooling Technology (Peltier) operates without a compressor meaning whisper-quiet operation in bedrooms, bathrooms, and offices. Perfect use at night and a small room.
- 【Save Space and Portable】: It is mini-size, Perfect for your home, such as kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, caravan, garage, closet. Like all mini dehumidifiers, the optimal operating temperature is 59-86°F. It will not work below 41°F.
- 【Non-stop Customer Service】We provide unlimited customer service support and tech support. Questions will be responded to within 24 working hours. SEAVON dehumidifier comes with 2-year Warranty Click “Add to Cart” now – You will happy with it.
Pro Breeze Electric Mini Dehumidifier
- Small & Compact: Lightweight, compact and portable. Capable of removing up to 18 ounces of water per day with a 52-ounce water tank capacity. Ideal for rooms up to 2200 cubic feet (250 sq ft)
- Auto Shut-Off: When full the dehumidifier will automatically shut off and the LED light will turn-on indicating the water tank needs draining. Simply empty the water tank and place it back into the dehumidifier
- Ultra-Quiet & Efficient: Built-in Thermo-Electric Cooling Technology (Peltier) operates without a compressor meaning whisper quiet operation in bedrooms, bathrooms and offices
- Removes 18 Ounces of Moisture per Day: Optimal function in room sizes up to 2200 cubic feet (250 sq ft)
- Lowers Humidity: Perfect for high humidity in your home, kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, caravan, garage, closet. Like all mini dehumidifiers, optimal operating temperature is 59-86°F. It will not work below 41°F
How to Remove Humidity from Your House
In the early fall, people generally use their central heating system for removing humidity from low-level areas in their home. But when you have a house with high ceilings or an especially big basement, then it becomes difficult to remove excess humidity all at once. Sometimes due to cold weather outside it’s too risky to open windows in your house because if not properly sealed in colder zones, these windows can cause damage to your furniture and other stuff around in the form of moisture and condensation which can lead mold growth. Replacing old windows is also not an option because they are expensive. As a solution to this problem, many people prefer portable dehumidifiers that can provide efficient results in small spaces like basements, attics or home offices.