If you want to buy a greenhouse, but can’t afford the more expensive greenhouses available on the market, you will probably be happy to know that there are some pretty decent ones out there for a lower price. Just because they cost less doesn’t mean that a little money was saved by cutting corners. In fact, many of them offer exactly what their more expensive counterparts do and then some.
The following is a list of all those bargains as well as other useful information about portable greenhouses so you can make an educated decision on whether or not this product is right for your gardening needs.
What’s So Great About Portable Greenhouses?
1) A portable greenhouse offers the same features as its permanent counterparts – sometimes even more! For example, some of them can be moved around very easily. Some include wheels while others offer an extendable handle which makes it possible to push or pull them with little effort.
2) This type of greenhouse is great if you are limited on space. It’s easy to find sites for one in even the tiniest yard unlike permanent greenhouses that may require a large spot free from trees and shrubs (and it won’t block out the sunlight).
3) If you love plants but don’t want to deal with all the maintenance that comes with owning plants, portable greenhouses are great because they provide access to plants without having to water, weed, fertilize and so on.
4) Most will fit enough plants so you can start a variety and see which ones do the best where you live. If your favorite plant dies, it’s not such a disappointment because there are more to choose from.
5) These types of greenhouses don’t serve only as planting areas; they can also provide shelter for some outdoor pets like rabbits. For those with many flowers or vegetables that need protection from animals (some deer will eat anything), this is a perfect solution.
What Are They Made Of?
1) Portable greenhouse materials can be made out of plastic, glass or mylar – they all provide different benefits:
a) Mylar – The mylar is usually white and reflects both heat and light so your greenhouse stays warmer and gets sunlight than most glass greenhouses would. However, the cost of this greenhouse material is pretty high and it can be flimsy if not properly supported.
b) Glass – This type of greenhouse material requires a lot of support because it’s heavy and these things leak heat unlike mylar greenhouses do. On the other hand, glass offers better insulation than plastic and keeps your plants warmer than they would be outside during wintertime – great for those cold climates where plants may need some protection once in a while. It also stays cooler in summertime so you don’t have to worry about overheating.
c) Plastic – These greenhouses are lighter than both glass and mylar ones which makes them easier to move even without wheels (some offer one set, others two). If you work a lot, you may appreciate this aspect. Plastic doesn’t offer the insulation that glass or mylar do so they tend to be hotter in summertime and colder during wintertime. However, they are lighter to lift which is perfect for those with back problems.
2) Portable greenhouses can either be framed with wood or PVC piping – each has its benefits:
a) Wood – This greenhouse material is more expensive but it’s less likely to develop leaks because it lasts longer than PVC piping does (in the long run). On the other hand, it makes your greenhouse heavier if you plan on moving it often. Also, there are additional costs involved once the wooden frame starts showing wear because you’ll have to replace parts of it after a while.
b) PVC – A plastic frame is often lighter than wood and it’s less likely to break down on you from constant use. However, if not properly maintained it will begin to leak which means some plants may drown or even get eaten by animals. This type of greenhouse material takes on sunlight more readily so expect the inside of it to be hotter during summertime – if you add water, this will help lower its temperature a bit though.
3) Some portable greenhouses come with their own removable covers which are waterproof while others let rain in – read the description carefully before purchasing one to make sure you’re getting all the features that matter most to you:
a) Removable Covers – To access your plants, all you have to do is take off the cover and walk in. The downside: you’ll get wet when it rains so if you want to protect yourself, wear an umbrella and a raincoat next time you decide to pop your head in or water your plants.
b) No Covers – The opening of these greenhouses face upward so there’s no chance for rainwater to accumulate. On the upside, they are lighter than those with covers which makes them easier to move around (especially with wheels). But be prepared for some additional costs because this greenhouse material may cause some damages during snowstorms – think about buying snow boots for protection next wintertime.
Top Portable & Small Greenhouses
Ohuhu Walk-In Portable Greenhouse
- Warm yet Ventilated: With the zippered roll-up door and 2 Velcro side windows, you can regulate external airflow to keep the plants warm and provide better air circulation for the plants, and works as observation window that makes it easy to peek inside
- Large space: Constructed with 6 wired shelves – 3 on each side, and measures 56.3” (L) x 28.7”(W) x 76.8”(H), which makes space for all your blooming flowers, sprouting plants and fresh vegetables.
- Rock-solid Stability: Structured with heavy-duty rust-resistant tubes for extended durability, supported with an 18 lb. weight capacity, so it is strong enough to hold seed trays, pots and plant growth light.
- Beautify your green spaces: Designed with a zippered roll-up door for easy access and screened ventilation for optimum air circulation. Giving your patios, balconies, decks and gardens a touch of green, without any fuss.
- Easy Movement and Assembly: All parts are detachable, so you can set it up wherever you want to, and move it when the seasons shift. No tools required.
Gardman R687 Mini Greenhouse
- Ideal for small backyards or homes where space is an issue; place on a deck, patio, or balcony
- Gives seeds, seedlings, and young plants an early start
- Clear polyethylene cover and roll-up zippered door for easy access
- Strong push fit tubular steel frame assembles in minutes without any tools
- 27" Long x 18" Wide x 63" High
House Complete Walk-In Greenhouse
- 8 DURABLE SHELVES- The 8 sturdy shelves provide plenty of room for trays, pots, or planters of anything you want to grow. It’s a convenient option for any gardener!
- INDOOR OUTDOOR- This versatile greenhouse is ideal for both indoor and outdoor use; keep it on your backyard patio, deck, or in the basement or garage! The clear PVC cover helps protect seedlings from frost or pests for an ideal growing environment.
- EASY ASSEMBLY- With no tools required, the greenhouse is easy to assemble! Simply follow the included instructions and connect the rods. Rope and anchors are included for stability, and each shelf comes with zip ties to ensure they can't be tipped over.
- USE IN ALL SEASONS- The walk-in greenhouse is the perfect way to extend your growing season! This home gardening essential is great for plants, seeds, herbs, vegetables, or flowers, and it could also be used to hold supplies.
- PRODUCT DETAILS- Materials: Steel frame and PVC cover. Dimensions: (L)56.3”x (W)56.3”x (H)76.7”. Color: Green with clear cover. Rope, anchors, and zip ties included.
Quictent Waterproof UV-Protected Reinforced Mini Greenhouse
- ITEM EXACTLY MATCH THE DESCRIPTION---- Heavy-duty powder coated steel framework + UV protected、Waterproof 、Reinforced 、Transparent PVC cover (with ropes let cover and frame combined better).
- GOOD SIZED PORTABLE MINI GREENHOUSE---- 71"WX 36"D X 36"H, Big enough to work for good sized plant pot & seed bed. Can be used both indoors & outdoors.
- OVERLONG COVER DESIGN---- Makes greenhouse more airtighted and secure, just bury it in the soil, easy way but useful.
- KEEP THE GROUND NICE AND WARM---- We had about a 95% germination rate instead of our usual 80% due to the good ground warmth! 2 Door with 4 zippers let the greenhouse can be completely closed to keep warm
Worth Garden Walk-In Greenhouse
- Easy Assembly:The portable greenhouse is easy to setup and break down. No tools are required for assembly.Four anchors can fix the portable greenhouses for outdoors to avoid being blown down by the wind. You can Move or store the greenhouse plastic is convinent when the seasons change.
- Automatic Irrigation System: Different from other greenhouse, Worth designed an unique simple automatic irrigation system for this green house : using 10m hose and automatic irrigation sprinkler to Cool and humidify for giving plants a cool and a healthier growing surroundings.
- Ideal Growing Enviroment:With steel frame and a clear 0.12mm PVC cover included, this small greenhouses for outdoors and indoors can protect plants from frost or pests for an ideal growing environment. This versatile garden greenhouse is ideal for both indoor and outdoor use.
- Ample Space:The indoor and outdoor greenhouse have 12 sturdy shelves which can provide plenty of room for trays, pots, or planters of anything you want to grow. Dimensions of this greenhouse tent:67"L x 47‘’W x 76‘’.
- 100% SATISFACTION - WORTH GARDEN offers an UNBEATABLE consumer-friendly 3-year GUARANTEE on all our Gardening products. Call or email anytime for support. Our team is here to help!