Humidifiers are appliances designed to increase humidity in dry, hot climates or in areas with central heating. They can be used in the home, office and even at your place of business. While humidifiers were once thought of as a luxury item they are actually quite important especially for anyone with breathing problems like asthma.
Humidifiers help reduce the risk of cracked lips, dry skin and irritation caused by flu viruses or colds. They also make it easier for people suffering from sinusitis or hay fever to breathe more comfortably. Most importantly humidifiers help alleviate respiratory problems like bronchitis and allergies by simply adding moisture to the air which makes breathing easier.
Table of Contents
Top Portable & Small Humidifiers
TaoTronics Cool Mist Humidifier
- 4L Tank Capacity, Works for All Night: Over a gallon of water lasts for 12-30 hour working time on a full tank; designed to humidify the air in rooms up to 10-30 m² / 107-322 ft², bedroom, nursery, office and so on
- Informative LED display: Built-in Humidistat tells you the current RH; Easily choose between three mist levels; Set your desired humidity level, 40-60% is recommended
- Nightlight & Sleep Mode: Choose to turn on the nightlight, or enter sleep mode to shut off LED screen for a discreet sleep at night
- Safe to Use: Automatically shuts off when water runs out; Microporous cartridge filters the water from micro-organisms and bad odor, we recommend you change filters every 4-6 months
- Please do NOT use with essential oils, which will damage the machine and cause leakage problem.
VicTsing Cool Mist Humidifier
- Perfect Gifts: The aroma diffuser features super modern wood grain, like a decorative piece. It is good choice to use this lovely diffuser as gifts to your friends and families, lovers.
- 2 Mist and 4 Timer Setting. There are 2 options of mist for you to choose from: strong and standard mist. Also 4 Timer: 1H, 3H, 6H and continuous. Select a suitable timer mode & mist option and create a calming and relaxing environment.
- Auto Off Function: Designed with waterless auto-off function, this aromatherapy essential oil diffuser will turn off automatically when runs out water. Perfect for bedroom, living room, office, spa, yoga.
- Excellent Performance. This essential oil diffuser can last for 10 hours (in low mist level) with a water tank capacity of 300ml. The mist output of aromatherapy diffuser can reaches 50-70ml/h, perfect for space 20-30㎡, creating much more cool and fragrance.
- Enjoy Your Leisure Time: Whenever you feel tired, turn on the TV, play games, or read a book, you could use VicTsing ultrasonic essential oil diffuser spreading elegant fragrance in the living room.
MistAire Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier
- ULTRASONIC COOL MIST TECHNOLOGY: Safely moisturizes the air for up to 25 hours of continuous operation on low, and up to 12 hours on high, so you can breathe easy and get more restful sleep. Ideal coverage for bedrooms, offices and other medium-sized rooms.
- IMPROVED FUNCTIONALITY: MistAire Silver includes the same premium components and functionality used throughout the MistAire line, but has been upgraded with sleep-friendly features like quieter beeps when the unit is turned on/off (great for sleeping babies) and a power light that automatically shuts off after 10 seconds (zero emitted light when the nightlight is off).
- 360-DEGREE MIST NOZZLE: Rotating nozzle makes it easy to adjust mist direction and high and low settings speed to fit your comfort level.
- AUTOMATIC SHUT-OFF: Safely turns humidifier off when water level is low or the water tank is removed.
- WHAT YOU GET: Humidifier, AC power adapter, disk cleaning brush, user manual, industry-leading 5 Year Warranty, caring customer support 7 days a week, and the peace of mind that comes from a trusted brand with millions of customers worldwide.
Crane Adorable Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier
- VARIABLE SPEED SETTINGS: No matter the humidity level you would like to achieve we've got you covered. The Crane Adorable cool mist humidifiers offer variable output settings and an adjustable 360 degree mist lid making it easy to send the mist in any direction. The mist output is perfect for humidifying rooms up to 500 square feet, which is a standard medium to large sized room
- WHISPER QUIET: Crane's Adorables humidifiers runs whisper quiet which makes it the perfect option for light sleepers, kids, and especially babies. This frog humidifier is made with clean control anti-microbial material which reduces mold and bacteria growth by up to 99.96%
- ONE GALLON TANK: The 1 gallon tank fits under a standard kitchen or bathroom sink, and has an easy to carry handle at the top. Our humidifiers are filter free, but we offer an optional demineralization filter (HS-1932) for those with excessive minerals in their water that screws directly into the tank
- 24 HOUR RUN TIME: The frog humidifier runs up to 24 hours, so you don't have to worry about running it through the night. It also is equipped with an automatic shut-off safety feature that turns the unit off when the water runs out
- EASY TO CLEAN: Crane's easy to clean humidifier design features a detachable bottom fill tank, which is recommended by health professionals for promoting clean humidifier habits. The water level sensor and cap also are removable, giving you access to clean the entire base. We recommend cleaning the humidifier based on frequency of use and provide many educational resources on how to clean your humidifier
Levoit Ultrasonic Humidifier
- Warm & Cool Mist: The humidifier provides both cool mist and warm mist to relieve you from congestion,sinus,dry skin, allergies,bloody noses,cold, flu.It is perfect for all year around using.
- Auto Mode: The humidifier’s built-in humidity sensor automatically adjusts the mist level to maintain a comfortable level of humidity, so you can set it and forget it. If the tank runs out of water, the humidifier will automatically turn off
- Aromatherapy: Add your favorite essential oils to the aroma box to give your room a clean, fresh aroma.
- Perfect for Large Room: With a mist output of up to 500 mL/hr, the LV600HH can easily handle spaces as large as 753 ft2 / 70 m2. The large 1. 5 gal / 6 L capacity allows for 60 hours of continuous use with the low mist level.
- Convenient Remote Control: Adjust settings in the middle of the night without leaving the comfort of your bed. On a schedule? Set a 1–12 hour timer so you won’t have to worry about accidentally leaving the humidifier on.
Not all humidifiers are equal so you need to know what your buying before you shell out your hard earned money. Here are some of the factors to consider when purchasing a humidifier.
1) Is the humidifier easy to use?
Humidifiers that come with all the bells and whistles might sound good but they’re not always easy to use especially in the middle of the night when you’re half asleep and in desperate need of relief from a dry cough or stuffy nose. So when buying a humidifier make sure it is simple and can be carried around easily. Try one with an ergonomic handle so you won’t strain your wrist while carrying it back and forth between rooms. If possible get one with optional control settings like digital timers, automatic shut offs and variable mist output levels just in case you want to adjust the level of humidity it emits.
2) How portable is the humidifier?
It doesn’t matter how sick you are if you can’t get to sleep because your nose and throat feel like they’re on fire. So when choosing a humidifier make sure it’s small enough for easy portability around your home or office. Check its dimensions and weight since you’ll likely be moving it from room to room frequently especially at night. Choose one that has a built-in handle, tank wheels and an ergonomic design so you don’t have any problems carrying it from place to place unlike some models which might be too heavy, bulky or awkward looking to carry in the middle of a coughing fit.
3) Does the humidifier require filters?
Humidifiers that come with built-in or replaceable filters are good for your wallet because you won’t have to keep buying new ones every three to six months. It cuts down on costs by requiring less filter replacement and it’s a lot better for the environment too. Unfortunately not all models come with filters so if yours doesn’t make sure to choose a humidifier with an automatic shut off feature in case its water level gets too low while your away from home. This will prevent expensive damage done by running the appliance without any water inside which can shorten its life expectancy.
4) How noisy is the humidifier?
No one likes being woken up from a sound sleep unexpectedly especially when they’re fighting a nasty head cold. So if you don’t like sleeping with a loud humming noise next to your ear then choose a humidifier that is built with quiet running technology and has an “ultra-quiet” feature for those extra stuffy nights.
5) What’s the warranty?
You deserve peace of mind when purchasing any product so always buy from retailers who offer huge warranties on their items because this demonstrates faith in their own products. A one year limited warranty should be enough incentive for anyone searching for a good humidifier, but if it doesn’t come with one look for models that have at least two years warranty coverage. Another good idea is to also purchase your humidifier under retailer whose return policy allows customers up 30 days or more to make an exchange on any returned item.
6) How much does the humidifier cost?
Ask yourself this simple question; “if I can’t even afford to buy a good humidifier then why am I looking for one?”. It’s always best to keep your budget in mind when choosing an appliance or device that you might have to depend on for several years so only go cheap if you’re on a really tight budget because cheap models are usually sub-standard these days. Another thing to avoid is buying used models online, especially if there is no warranty coverage, since it might be faulty or broken already and your stuck with it. Never depend on second hand appliances unless they come with all of their original parts including any accessories just in case something goes wrong and you need to replace it.
7) Is the humidifier easy to clean?
Always choose a humidifier that comes with water tanks and filters which can be easily cleaned since this will help prevent the growth of mildew and mold inside its components which might turn out to be harmful when released back into the air. There are expensive models which come with self-cleaning or sterilizing functions, but if yours doesn’t then don’t worry about it because all you really have to do is rinse them every few days with warm water and occasional disinfectants for added protection against germs. Also make sure that any removable parts such as manual operation knobs, tanks covers, fan blades and base plates can also be taken apart for deep cleaning.
8) How often do I have to replace the humidifier filters?
Humidifiers which are fitted with washable filters are good for your wallet because you won’t have to keep buying new ones every three to six months. It cuts down on costs by requiring less filter replacements and it’s a lot better for the environment too. Unfortunately not all models come with replaceable filters so if yours doesn’t make sure to choose a humidifier with an automatic shut off feature in case its water level gets too low while your away from home. This will prevent expensive damage done by running the appliance without any water inside which can shorten its life expectancy.
9) Should I buy warm mist or cool mist?
The best choice of humidifier is one that doesn’t require any warm mist because they are usually more expensive to maintain. They must be refilled more frequently than cool mist models and the reason is simply because of their heating element which requires electricity all the time it’s turned on, whereas cool mist humidifiers only need electricity when they’re first turned on at start-up. So if you want a cheaper option for wintertime sleeping then choose a cool mist model which has an automatic shut off feature for added convenience.
10) How big is my room?
If you’re planning to buy a portable humidifier then always make sure that you know how large your room is before making your purchase otherwise there might not be enough space inside it to its size. Most models come with a water tank that can hold one gallon of water but you should also check the humidifier’s output which will give you an idea how many hours or days that you’ll be able to use it on a single filling. It would not make sense to buy a portable humidifier if your room is really large because its mist output might not even reach the other side so always look at your room dimensions before making any purchase, otherwise it becomes an expensive mistake to make.
11) What type of power supply does it require?
Most models available today are designed for both 110-120V and 220-240V which gives you lots of choices when purchasing online from retailers who ship worldwide, but if yours only requires 110-120 volts then don’t expect it to work properly or at all when plugged into a 220-240 volt outlet. In addition you need to check the humidifier’s wattage to make sure that it doesn’t exceed the limit of your home circuit breaker or else it will trip and shut down which can also damage any appliance connected to the same circuit like a lamp, television set and etc.
12) How much humidity do I want?
This is another important factor because some models only produce 30% moisture while others reach as high as 90%, but if there isn’t enough humidity inside your room then don’t expect it to feel warmer even with the heating function turned on. There should be between 30%-60% humidity for added comfort especially during wintertime sleeping conditions and you can achieve this with a small and portable humidifier placed near your bed, but if you’re planning to cover a larger room then choose one with the proper output needed.
13) How noisy is it?
Another important factor for some people because they like to sleep in complete silence especially during nighttime hours which might not be possible if their personal space has a loud noise coming from inside its water tank. Therefore always check customer reviews on its noise level before making any purchase because some models only produce barely audible sound while others are disturbingly louder than most people would ever expect on such a compact device.
14) What features should I look for?
Since we live in an electronic age where technology makes our lives more convenient we want all the comfort and convenience at our fingertips so always look for a quality humidifier with added features like remote control, digital timers, soft glowing night lights and much more. Some models even come with their own smartphone apps which allows users to adjust the humidity level without moving an inch because it’s just as simple as checking an email on your handheld device.
15) What do I do if my appliances tips over?
A common mistake that many people make every year is placing any type of water-based appliance near or on top of furniture where children might try to climb or reach out for it because they think its something fun to play with like a toy. Therefore take this extra step when choosing your humidifier by keeping all small children away from anywhere near where it’s placed because its glass water tank might become extremely hot during operation and break when knocked over. Even though humidifiers are commonly used to prevent your child from catching a cold, flu or any respiratory infection they should not be played with under any circumstances. However if you were one of these unfortunate parents who lost their child due to an accidental drowning then know that there are product liability attorneys out there who will fight tooth and nail for justice on your behalf just like what happened in this case where the family received $1 million dollars in damages against both the manufacturer and retailer who sold them this humidifier.