Public seating is something that most people see everyday. A stool, for example, is a piece of equipment many people use daily to sit down, whether it be in the kitchen or at their office desks. While most stools are fairly unremarkable pieces of equipment there are some that stand out from the crowd due to being more sturdy and long-lasting than others. The best portable stools are those which meet these criteria while also providing great comfort to their users.
Today we’re going to take a look at some different types of folding chairs and what makes them quality products that can compete with even the most expensive barstools. We’ll also provide some insight into what makes one product better than another depending on your needs for portability and comfort.
Types of Portable Stools
There are three main types of portable stools, each with their own advantages and disadvantages. Let’s take a quick look at each type before we dive into the specific products on our list:
Outdoor/Folding Chairs: These chairs are the most common and widely available type of folding chair. They can be found in almost any superstore, home improvement store, or department store which sell furniture and other household goods. The biggest advantage outdoor chairs have is that they’re very easy to come by and as such you can usually expect to pay about half as much as other types for them. You’ll also find that they’re quite sturdy given that they’re meant to last through extended exposure to the elements. The biggest downside of outdoor folding chairs is that they’re not designed to support the same amount of weight as most other types, which means that you can’t expect to sit in them comfortably for extended periods. They’re also quite bulky and difficult to transport between locations without taking up a significant amount of room in your vehicle.
Hiking/Backpacking Stools: These stools are more or less exactly what they sound like: stools with some additional elements meant to make travel easier. For example, these products usually have some kind of strap around the top so they can easily be fastened onto nearly any pack you might be carrying on your back while hiking or camping. Hiking stools also often have sturdy arms, which are especially useful when you’re moving from one location to another and need a place to put your hands while you’re doing so. The biggest advantage of this type of stool is that they’re typically very easy to come by, as many people purchase them simply for recreational purposes. You’ll also find that the vast majority of hiking stools are designed to support just as much weight as other types, meaning that they can be quite comfortable depending on how well the seat is contoured. The biggest downside to these products is their lack of portability: because most models have arms and legs, they can’t easily be folded down or otherwise broken down into smaller pieces without some kind of modification. For this reason, we recommend them mostly for use at home or in car camping-type situations.
Folding Camping Stools: This type of stool is often referred to as a portable camping stool. The main advantage of these products is that they typically provide the best combination of portability and comfort available. Internally, you’ll find that they’re quite similar to other stools with some notable exceptions: typically folding camping stools are sold in pairs (unlike other types) and can be easily broken down usually by way of hinges built into the legs or seat area. They also generally have fairly long-lasting construction due to materials like metal instead of wood/plastic found on more basic models. On top of this, most folding camping stools will support an impressive amount of weight so you won’t have to worry about them collapsing on you. The biggest downside of this type is their cost: folding camping stools are nearly as expensive as the other two types and as such we recommend them mostly for those who do lots of car camping or similar kinds of activities. They’re also not ideal for packing around with you all day long because most models require disassembly into pieces to transport properly which can be annoying after a while.
Top Portable & Small Stools
Acko Folding Step Stool
- PREMIUM QUALITY - Manufactured to Acko standards, made of tough & durable heavy duty plastic for long lasting durability. Our folding step stool has been approved via EN 14183 Certificate, all products are factory tested for quality.
- CARRYING HANDLE - Ergonomic carrying handle is designed for easy folding and carrying. Just lift the handle, it will fold easily and quickly in a split second with only one hand. The step stool’s handle magically appears when the stool is folded flat. Allowing your kids to comfortably carry it around so they can place it where they need it.
- SQUASH and ROUND CORNER PROTECTION FEATURE - Acko has designed a safety stop gap feature that greatly improves rigidity and stability, great for kids. Corners have been rounded to improve safety. Designed with kids in mind and safety first!
- ANTI SLIP - Rubber grips on the surface and anti-slip rubber feet on each foot create maximum grip, has amazing support and comfort. Unique grip-dot textured surface makes the folding step stool safe for everyone, including kids. This safety features makes the step stool great for multipurpose uses i.e. kitchen, bathroom, dining room, office, garden, camping, fishing and more.
- PROPER USE - The maximum load capacity of the folding step is 300 pounds, which is mainly used for children and adults in indoor sittings. The step stool must be used on a dry and flat surface. Keep product away from temperatures above 30℃ and below﹣5℃ for more than 5 hours.
KingCamp Slacker Chair
- Rugged steel frame, quality 1200D Oxford frabic, supports up to 330 lbs.
- Portable & Easy Taken, only weight 1. 4 lbs, packed size 14. 9 x 4. 7 x 4. 7 inches, small package, space saving.
- Side pocket for personal stuffs. Carry bag included for easy transport and store. Open and fold in seconds. No assembly needed.
- Outdoor and Indoor activities chair- perfect for camping, fishing, hiking, garden, traveling, beach, picnic , lawn and more! It's also a great gift for anyone who looking for portable and folding chair.
Bright Star Multifunction Portable Backpack Stool
- Backpack Chair Size: 17.32inch*14.17inch*12.20inch, Backpack Chair Folding Size : 20.47inch*14.17inch, It weighs about 3.3 pounds, the maximum load of 330 pounds.
- Design converts from an amazingly light weight backpack to a mini stool chair with built-in cooler bag for your drinks and snacks,It's a backpack, a comfortable chair, a cooler and a place for snacks.
- Backpack Chair and ice pack suse together, refrigeration effect will be better, It's like a small mobile refrigerator.
- Wherever your adventure takes you, you'll always have a seat and a cold drink or warm soup, this stylish folding backpack chair, offering ample storage space with lots of pockets, makes your trips to the beach, glamping, sporting events, Picnic, outdoor gatherings relaxing and easy.
- It folds up nicely to travel, pack, and store in the trunk of your car to take with you everywhere you need it.
RedCamp 2-Pack Portable Tripod Stools
- 【Superior Fabric】: REDCAMP Tripod Stool is made of double layer 600D Oxford PVC coated and thicker steel tubes. The reliable stool’s durable fabric and sturdy steel frame can hold up to 225lbs.
- 【Compact & Portable】: Fold up size L2" x W2" x H24" ; Set up size L13" x W14" x H17", Weigh: 2lbs. The portable stool is lightweight and easy to carry that can be conveniently folded up like newspaper. Its compact design take up less space.
- 【Unique Design】: The folding chair is designed with larger rubber feet which provides stability and is anti-slip. Mesh Side-Pocket provides useful space for your cell phone, keys, wallet or other accessories so that you can free your hands.
- 【Versatile Slacker Chair】: The camping stool has a portable carry strap is ideal for camping, fishing, hunting, hiking, back yard, sport events. You can use this slacker chair as a seat anywhere you need. It provides a comfortable sitting experience.
- 【100% Money Back Guarantee】: REDCAMP offers a 365-day limited manufacturer warranty. If you're not satisfied for any reason, please feel free to contact us and we will respond within 24 hours.
SitGo Portable Seat
- PLEASE NOTE! Read Customer Reviews and Answered Questions to make sure this product is suitable for you. MAY NOT BE SUITABLE FOR THOSE WITH BALANCE ISSUES. Not a Medical Device
- SitGo Portable Travel Seat is unique for outdoor events like hiking, theme parks, concerts and camping. This small light foldable chair attaches to bags, pocket or stroller. The lightweight ergonomic fold-up seat is collapsible and perfect for commuting, golf, backpacking and tailgating.
- This travel leaning seat gives large adults and small kids an adjustable way to rest while standing. The compact high durability travel chair fits easily in your backpack or carry-on luggage. Used also as a Standing Desk Chair
- Adjustable lengths from 25" to 33" Travel Size 9'' X 2.5''. Holds up to 300lbs and weighs only 1.5lbs ~ About the weight of a waterbottle. Opens in under 10 seconds.
- Silicon non-slip sitting surface. Solid rubber non-slip foot. Not a cushioned seat.
A portable stool can be used in all sorts of situations, ranging from camping trips to concerts. They are also very practical when assembling furniture or switching light bulbs because they allow you to stand on them while reaching high places. But how do you choose the best model?
Tips to choose your new stool
Durability is essential
You won’t find any portable stools that are 100% flat-proof, but there are models that have been reinforced with steel bars or with a powder coat finish. It’s better if your stool has rubber feet so it doesn’t scratch floors and it always stands upright without moving too much around. Do not go for economy class models which are often made of low-quality materials. They may not last an entire day.
It should be easy to carry
As said by the name itself, a good portable stool should be easy to carry around while folded up. This is why you should go for models that weigh less than 5 pounds (less than 2 Kg). Also make sure that the frame locks in place with just one click because this will avoid accidents when it’s accidentally unfolded while being carried over a bumpy surface .
The most comfortable types have four legs and a foot rest or pegs with rubber caps
In our opinion, the most practical models are those that have four legs and a footrest/pegs with rubber caps under them so they don’t slip. A removable backrest also serves to give more stability and comfort.
Most models can be washed in a washing machine
To keep your stool clean all you need is a simple cloth dampened with water if it’s made of plastic or a mild soap if it’s covered with fabric. However, we recommend that you dry the stool completely before folding it up and storing it away so no fungus develops on its damp parts. But what happens when the material used is not waterproof? This doesn’t mean your stool will eventually break down after several washes; quite the opposite actually. By washing these materials in a gentle way, you’ll avoid stains and they will remain durable for much longer! All you have to do is follow our instructions:
– turn your stool upside down before washing it
– wash it alone with cold water
– use a delicate cycle on the machine
– only use some mild soap or some fabric softener if necessary. You can also dry clean it!
Quality stools are price-worthy too
Just because you have to spend more on a quality product doesn’t mean that this will be reflected in the cost of your portable stool. On the contrary, good models are affordable and can even last for 10 years or more if they are taken care of properly! As long as the frame is covered by a warranty of at least 1 year, you’ll know you’ve made a good choice!